Saturday, January 9, 2010

To Manifest

I'm beginning to see a common thread weaving through my life: I don't think I'm good enough. Sure, I know that I have good friends, I'm well-liked, I have people that love me for who I am and nothing more, but when it comes to manifesting the things in life I feel I deserve, I second guess myself. I stop writing because I think it's in vein. I spread my arts and crafts all over the kitchen table, dedicate a few weeks to creating, and then I hit a wall. I buy fancy cookware and cook books, and they collect dust on the stove and on the shelf. I have so many resources at my fingertips, but when it comes to going through with something completely, or putting myself out there in any kind of risky way, I freeze.

I'm taking this year to listen more closely to my intuition. She says to create, to flourish, to do the things I love. But there is a part of me that battles it out with my intuition, it asks the type of questions that hold me down time and time again--or rather, it doesn't ask questions, it simply says: you can't do that. It says, "You can't make money by selling arts and crafts, Jane." "You'll never make enough money simply teaching yoga," "You don't know the first thing about cooking," "No one is going to publish you...No one even knows about you,".

Instead of standing up to these voices, I give pause. Doubt, right now, is my biggest enemy. So instead of learning to listen more to my intuition this year, maybe I need to make the commitment to act on it more often. I fear that others will question me and doubt my actions, but I must remember that their doubts are only a reflection of my own. Perhaps that doubt is some form of parental love--only trying its best to protect me from myself. Perhaps. And if that's the case, I will simply say to myself, I understand that you're scared and you are only trying to protect me, and I appreciate that, but let's open up this channel that is blocked by fear and learn to manifest things that flow in and feed my spirit, instead of just protecting it. 

Soon, I hope to learn to approach these challenges in my life the same way I approach challenges on my mat: just going for it. I remember being a beginner and thinking to myself, "I can't do that!" Now, several years later, I can't remember the last time I had those thoughts in class. It doesn't matter if I can't do it perfectly, I always try. If I fall, I laugh. If I get hurt, I take it easy. If it takes years to do something, that's okay because I'm still doing something I love.

No comments: