Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bring Your Mat With You

I love to travel. It removes me from my everyday neuroses--mainly my controlled environment, routine, and perfectionism.  I've been privileged enough to travel to several different countries, mostly with other people. But there have also been times where I have stepped out on my own to explore the world.

One of my strongest and most cherished memories is traveling to England to study abroad my junior year of college. The experience as a whole fell a little flat, looking back on it, but there is one moment that I mark as a peak experience in my life. I had three large bags I was lugging around, trying to get from Heathrow airport to somewhere in the large city--a very new city for me. It was morning rush hour on the tube, I was hungry, disoriented, and extremely sleep deprived. As I arrived at my stop, gathered my bags and stepped off of the tube a great calm amidst the chaos washed over me. In this moment I knew that I was never alone. I knew that I was always with myself and that I was, in fact, my own best friend. It was such a relief to just buddy up with myself like this and it was such a powerful, secure feeling that I often think of it when I am feeling overwhelmed, out of place, or disoriented.

I contribute this insight to my yoga practice. It is fascinating to look back at the undulating, twisting-turning patterns that a consistent yoga practice takes--all on its own, it seems. Looking back, it's clear to me now that during this time in my life my yoga practice was beginning to open me up to myself. This opening never stops, it only changes perspectives, depth and clarity.

This weekend I am visiting my father in Illinois. I'm only here for a few short days, but I had to pack a bag big enough to hold my yoga mat. I didn't even think twice about bringing it. When I am out of my element, it is like a security blanket. Even if I don't use it while I'm here, its bright red mass reminds me that I'm always here for myself--no matter where I am in the world.

No comments: