Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eat Dessert First

Growing up, my room was always the cleanest in the house. Ever since I was very young, I had a compelling need for order in my life. These days, I still have that same hunger for organization--I surround myself with to-do lists, I have tidy piles of folders that contain my bills (in order) among other things. I make the bed every day. It's just how I am. It's how I thrive.

But I've begun to notice how this is also how I get in my own way. If I want to meditate all the dishes must be done. If I want to get on my mat, I absolutely need to fold that pile of laundry first. If I'm going to write I must respond to all my e-mails and take a shower and do everything else before I sit down.

Some people need more organization in their lives. I'm beginning to think that I need less--or maybe I just need to do what I really want to do first and do the dishes later.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and when I was telling her how I was compelled to leave my desk job to teach yoga full-time, she said, "Yes! this is not a dress rehearsal!" Though I find myself fulfilled by my career, I realized her words compelled me to look at my every day life and the ways in which I get in the way of doing the things I love. 

It's not easy making those changes, though. Here I am writing, feeling the nagging need to check my inbox for the first time today--'Oh my goodness! What if there's something important?' Part of me wonders. But really, what could be more important that doing what makes me happy in this moment. This is no dress rehearsal, this is life, the real thing. Live it.

No comments: