Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Power of Lovingkindness

I teach every Tuesday night at a gym in Glastonbury. I love this class because it is the only class I teach that is mine every week--and has been for quite a few months now. There are many "regulars" that I have become noticeably more comfortable in class and with me as a teacher. 

Recently, my supervisor at the gym approached me with some feedback she had heard from someone who was a "long-time yoga student" at the gym. She referred to "him" and so that narrowed it down to three people--and then she said he had a more advanced practice, and I knew who she was talking about. The feedback was good--I need to break things down a bit more and offer more modifications for people who might not be able to do the full-blown pose. I like to think that I take criticism well, so I took this in stride and made a concerted effort to slow my classes down just enough to get everyone up to pace.

Though there were many familiar faces in class last night--there were a few new ones as well. One woman, in particular who was new (and, mind you, in desperate need of a clothespin--YTT will know what I'm talking about here...) looked as though she had definitely practiced yoga before--but was by no means a longtime student. Halfway through class, after a meditation on loving-kindness (loving a  loved one, loving an acquaintance, loving an enemy) and warm up, we got to it. I brought the class into extended warrior and from there, placed the hand on the mat and walked them into balancing half moon pose.

The class had been through this pose many times. It's a challenging pose, no doubt, but it is about strength and concentration--not so much on flexibility. This newer woman made a huff coming into the pose, standing up, and looking around. I noticed out of the corner of my eye and simply went throught the speil that, yes, this is a challenging pose, but if you fall out, simply try again and again, building the muscle memory. 

The second time around (on the left leg), I came over to this woman.

"If you like, you're welcome to do triangle pose instead here", I said, demonstrating.

She gave me an astounded look and said, "I just think it's way too early in the class to be doing this!"

"Okay" I was thrown. "Well, if you want to try triangle pose instead, you can do that". And with that I left her to her disbelief and amazement that I would even attempt to bring the class into a challenging pose that they had done many many times before.

For the rest of class, I could literally feel this woman's contempt oozing out of her. I think she even laughed and shook her head when I brought the class into a classical twist--or maybe that was just my imagination. Either way, by the end of class, I was feeling challenged. How dare this woman tell me what I can and cannot do in my class and what she thinks the class is ready for. It is an all-levels class. I am not going to keep everyone on the floor rolling around so that they can be soothed. People need to work in order to feel.

I sat in meditation at the end of class while the rest of the students took savanana. At first, my thoughts hovered around this woman and this situtation--how I so badly want her to say something to me after class so that I can stand up for myself and speak my mind. Oh, that would feel so good. I'm just getting used to standing up for myself, by the way. But then I remembered what this class was about: loving-kindness. So for laughs, I sent all my loving energy to this woman and to this tension between us.

I felt my heart beating with contempt--for the chance of confrontation--I felt it leaping again and again into my throat. But with this loving-kindness, I imagined this woman as a friend, as a family member. I stepped out of my own shoes and saw the situation for what it was--something I had totally blown out of proportion. Maybe she was right, maybe she wasn't--it didn't really matter. Her opinion was her opinion and as a teacher I have to make room for that and be respectful to her needs. My heart melted. The anger melted. And I sat at the front of class absolutely loving this woman for the opportunity she had brought for me to open my heart.

This might be a mushy story--but there is opportunity for this kind of feeling everywhere. The joy that came from this choice to forgive and to love, gave me an unbelievable high for the rest of the night. It's not always this easy to send loving-kindness to those that challenge and frustrate us--often times, the situations are much more complex. But it was this simple situation that gave my heart the greatest exercise of the day: opening.

No comments: