Friday, February 6, 2009

Good Things

Let's be honest. There's a lot of bad going on right now. I don't even need to list them out because you know what they are--and whenever the topic comes up, I feel like my words are only perpetuating the negativity. So I've decided to move in a different direction--because it is crucial to remain positive. There's still a lot of good things out there, and that's what this is about.

Starting today, this is my aim: to document a good thing every day. It doesn't have to be big by any means, but it must be present and heartfelt. The idea started when I was at the gym yesterday, using the changing room. I notices a pair of socks on the floor, made sure they were not mine, and thought nothing more of it. I dressed, exited and was about to dry my hair when the woman who entered the changing room after me poked her head out and asked--with a smile, "Did you lose and pair of socks?".

"No, I did not. I saw those. They must belong to someone else."

Both of us continued on, but I couldn't help but feel such deep appreciation for this woman--simply asking if I had lost my socks. Maybe because it's been a hard month at home, at work, in life. Maybe because it was just not the best day. I don't know why it touched me the way that it did, but I mulled this woman's kind action around in my mind knowing that these things happen all the time, every day--to me! How blessed I am.

So I went about my day--the normal way. I had to stop at the gas station on the way to the yoga studio, and as I was waiting to leave the parking lot, I noticed that the gas cap on the car in front of me was open. The traffic kept passing us by--there was no opportunity to exit--so I just sat there behind this car, looking at his gas cap, wondering what I should do. I actually got anxious! And I don't get anxious all that often. I knew I should get out and close it for him. But there was another part of me that felt shy--and it's not like it really made a difference if it was open or not...and it was cold...and what if the line of traffic broke just as I got out...how embarrassing. But the traffic line didn't break, and we continued to sit there in our warm cars, separated.

And then I just did it. I got out of the car, walked up and closed his gas cap shut. I could see him try to look at me in the rear view mirror. I made a pathetic gesture at the gas cap as I walked away. I was getting back into my car when I noticed he was rolling down his window."Your gas cap was open," I said.

He smiled. "Oh. Thank you."

I think we were about the same age. I was still anxious as the traffic lightened and he pulled out into the road. I made my way out after him, cautiously slowing over the ice heave in the entryway.

No comments: